Wednesday, November 05, 2008
Election 2008
Well, we have our new President Elect and although I didn't vote for him, I have to recognize this historic moment. To have elected an African American to be the President is amazing. I watched both his acceptance speech and Senator McCain's concession speech and I was impressed by them both. I think it's going to be interesting to see what happens over the next four years and I hope and pray that Obama stays close to the conservative middle--like he's been saying all along. I know he's got some liberal beliefs but I hope he keeps them checked because I still believe that the majority of this country is in the middle. I guess only the future will tell.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You are right, only the future will tell. I guess a candidate that is too close to the middle would have a hard time distinguishing him/her self from the other candidate, so everything gets polarized.
I agree that both speaches were very good. However, I wouldn't classify Obama as in the middle. His record in the senate showed him to be extremly far on the liberal side. One of the most liberal in the senate actually. Ah well, he still seems like a genuine guy, even if he is extremely confused about abortion and gay marriage. We all know that the constitution will hand by a thread in the last days, and this is just more signs of the times.
No, I wouldn't classify Obama in the middle either. But he was trying to appeal to the moderates throughout his campaign and he succeeded. What I'm hoping is that now he's in power he doesn't swing to the far left but that he still tries to appeal to the moderates. The whole "reach across the middle" crap. I think he'll have to for the first 4 years in order to get re-elected. But woe is us if he gets a second term!
So true. I think what's a little more nerve racking though is that his VP Biden, is even more liberal (if that's even possible). Ben made a good point though, Obama is under a lot of scrutiny right now to live up to all those promises to make money fall from the sky, so hopefully he will stay in the middle. It's also a little nerve racking when the house and senate are democrate majority too. Whatever happened to checks and balances?
Post a Comment