Sunday, February 22, 2009

Forever Pregnant

So this morning I'm 28 weeks, 3 days pregnant and I realized that if you add the 13 1/2 weeks I was pregnant last year before the miscarriage I've already passed 40 weeks. No wonder this pregnancy is seeming to last forever. I've passed the gestation period for a human, and I've still got 12 1/2 weeks to go!! So what does that make me? Anyone know the gestational period for an elephant? Am I getting close? I know a giraffe is a lot longer, so I won't compare myself there. But I'll have a 53 1/2 week gestational period when this is all said and done. (okay, so I did have a 3 months break, but it wasn't long enough to let my hormones settle down. No wonder I'm crazy emotional all the time.)
I've been getting a few emails encouraging me to post more frequently. I would love to say that I'll try harder, but let's face it, all my posts will just be about the aches and pains of this pregnancy. The other three were so much easier (and shorter). My whole body is falling apart! My sister posted her top worst things about her pregnancy and I'll give you a few of mine. By the way, remember that I still have 12 1/2 weeks to go, which means these will all get worse and I'm sure there will be more to add.
Where to begin? :)
Number 1: My left hip goes out and I fall at random times. Thankfully I haven't fallen yet outside, and I catch myself most of the time before I hit the ground. But I have fallen twice this month all the way to the ground. Once I was holding Daniel and he came down with me and the other time I was just walking and my hip went out and I fell. It's kind of scary not knowing if one step is going to bring me down. There isn't any warning at all either, I just buckle.
Number 2: Sciatic pain down the outside of both legs along with lower back pain.
Number 3: (this is a favorite): Did you know that you could get varicose veins during your pregnancy? In places that you would never imagine? So mine are on the inside of my leg--very high up on the inner thigh and they make my whole leg numb sometimes and sometimes they just cause pain so bad it's difficult to walk or sit or drive or do anything.
Number 4: Heartburn--tums would be a food group for me Tracy, if I could stand them--I'm downing papaya enzymes and Maalox on a regular basis instead.
Number 5: Crazy emotions and lots of fatigue. I asked Jenny and Alex if they thought I was more happy or more sad recently and Jenny said I was, "overwhelmed and exhausted" (we have one of those emotion magnets on the fridge) and Alex said "happy and sad". So even my kids have noticed my crazy emotions. Joy.
And there you have it. Call it complaining if you want to, this is a hard pregnancy. Some people have it easy--I've had it easy in the past--but not this time. I'm just hoping and praying that my body will hold together for the rest of the pregnancy. I still have such a long time to go.

6 comments:

Claudia said...

Hang in there, girl!!! Remember, it's all worth it (even though it doesn't seem like it now)!
I know that #3 was supposed to be a rhetorical question, but yes, I did know you can get varicose veins, and yes, I can tell you all about the surgery to fix them. I have done two rounds and have 3 more to go (at least). And even with that, it was all worth it.

Trista said...

Wow, that does not sound like fun at all. You go ahead and complain all you want. I can't believe the hip thing. I have been blessed (knock on wood). Love you and need to come see you!

J and M Lloyd, est. 2004 said...

Hey Shiree. That's quite the list. I'll put you on the prayer list. :) You can check out my blog at johnandmichellelloyd.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry Friend!!! That's really crappy! Is there anything I can do to help??
It was so great to see you - I hope we can do it again soon. With or without kids it's fun to get together. :>

Anonymous said...

Shiree im only 18 weeks along and minus the other miss carriages im on a long time line too lol... This definally has not been a easy pregnancy for me either so with that said i sorta know how you feel and pray that it will get easier for you... =)

Halliday's said...

Ahhh, Shiree!!! It's called the "4th Pregnancy syndrome" I think! It was by far my worst and I was a big crazy emotional woman/grouch most of the time. I never felt good. It took a toll on my family. But it went away soon after I had Hugh. And my body healed quite well too. Thanks heavens! One thing I did a little to help ease prego woes... I would go to the pool and do water aerobics. It may start out a little cool, but it feels so good to be light as a feather without pressure and get a little workout. I did water aerobics with the last 3 pregnancies and would highly recommend it if you can... ") Best wishes! By the way, are you having a boy or a girl and where are you delivering?