Sunday, February 17, 2008
Regarding my "non-mormon" post
I received a comment asking why I need to "sell" Mormonism, regarding my One Mormon's Thoughts blog (see comments under the last post). I thought maybe others would have this question, so I thought I would quickly address it here on this blog for those of you who might want to check out my other blog. First of all, thanks for the comment, "anonymous." I don't feel a need to sell Mormonism, it sells itself pretty well judging by it's fast rate of growth through converts. The problem is, as I state in my other blog, that there are so many misunderstandings regarding my church that it gives our church a bad name unfairly, and members get treated unfairly. Some examples: no, we don't practice polygamy. The Jews used to, Muslims used to and still do in places, we used to, but haven't since the late 1800's. Another- I heard of a young man who's father refused to put him in his will because he erroneously thought that his son would have to give some of his inheritance to the church. I know of people being refused jobs, not allowed to go out on a date with someone, had other kids not allowed to play with them, all because of misunderstandings about their beliefs as "Mormons." I know of parents disowning their children, and hundreds being killed, raped, homes burned down, and generally persecuted because of mistaken beliefs. I personally have been mocked, spit at, had rocks thrown at me, ridiculed by some family members, and had a friend receive a death threat, all because of ignorance and misunderstanding about my beliefs. Do I need to sell my religion? No, it is doing just fine without me, but I do feel a need to correct the misunderstanding that so easily sway others to hurt and to make afraid those who are only trying to live a good life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment